Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Review- Black Eyed Peas, “Meet Me Halfway” Music VideoWhen I first heard the song, “Meet Me Halfway” on KIIS FM I thought it sounded like a 90’s song that would come on in a club on a Thursday night. Don’t get me wrong, it’s catchy, but most songs already are and I don’t want to like a song just because it has a good beat—anyone can do that. I thought maybe the band was someone unknown and only semi-popular; maybe someone at KIIS FM had found it in an old folder on their computer and put it on air.

After I continued to hear the song on the radio and it began to play in my head I finally looked it up online and realized that the Black Eyed Peas sang it. I was kind of surprised considering their latest song, “I Gotta Feeling,” sounds so different and every time I hear I feel in a better mood. I like a lot of The Black Eyed Peas songs, I don’t own any of them, but I’ll sit through the popular ones and enjoy it.


I think my problem with “Meet Me Halfway” is that it has mediocre lyrics and when Will.i.am raps he sounds like he’s tired or too lazy to get all of his words out. The music video isn’t much better—Fergie lies in a garden the whole time just looking sexy as Will.i.am is on Jupiter riding an elephant. This goes on for three minutes until both Fergie and the other guy in the group, Apl.de.ap, jump into a floating cube and pyramid (don’t ask me what that’s all about) and are finally reconnected. The futuristic Romeo and Juliet story ends with the two of them becoming shooting stars across the night’s sky. Somewhere in this music video is one of the other guys in the Black Eyed Peas group and the only thing he does is act like an astronaut who tries to get close to the sun--maybe they felt bad if they left him out of the video.

It takes a lot of money to make a song, so it makes me wonder if so much money is being spent, then why are the lyrics so bland and boring? After all, Will.i.am raps, 'Cuz girl, I want you right now. I travel uptown, I travel downtown. Wanna have you around, like every single day. If even more money was spent on the music video then how did the director, Ben Mor, convince everyone that this outer space idea was so amazing? Maybe it’s because that’s what the public wants. Maybe we’re not setting our standards high enough. Maybe the Black Eyed Peas know what makes us happy and so they’re lowering their artistic abilities to make us content and to sell more records. After hearing this song and watching the video, I sure hope that’s the reason.


Katie Cervantes
Live OC Magazine
www.LIVEOCMAG.com

No comments:

Post a Comment